Our Church is the earliest Congregational Church in Dundee. It originated from the union of two churches, which existed in the town at the end of the eighteenth century and has continued in ecclesiastical use since its completion.
The Church was designed by the architect James Brewster and opened in 1833. The designation Ward Chapel was adopted from the name of a field in part of which it was erected. The Church forms an axial focal point at the west end of Euclid Street. Ward Chapel opened with 1200 sittings at a cost of £2810.
The building is rectangular in plan, designed as a Gothic Church with later addition of single storey schoolrooms flanking the apse. The Church has traceried, pointed arch windows to the front and simpler windows to the north, south and west elavations and also in the western apse. The interior of the building has a substantial amount of well-crafted decorative timber work.
Known as the Cathedral of Congregationalism in Scotland the building is unusually ambitious for its date and has been associated with many influential families of the Dundee area who have worshipped here. These included manufacturers, merchants, dyers, mill-owners, foundry-owners such as Baxters, Buists, Carmichaels, Gilroys, Halleys, Hendersons, Lows, neishs, Prains, Scotts and Stevensons.
In 1984 Panmure Trinity Church and Ward Chapel amalgimated to form Dundee Congregational Church.
Over the years the successive congregations have commissioned a series of additions and alterations to the building. The most recent alteration was in 2003 with the removal of two dozen pews to allow the construction of a Welcome Hall with a glazed screen, a prayer corner and steps were made to the chancel using some of the old pews.
Historic Scotland, through their funding, have allowed us to make essential repairs to the roof and so keep the building watertight.
Any member of the public can request access to view our beautiful building by contacting any of the office-bearers on the contacts page.
You will be made most welcome.
Dundee Congregational Church
6-8 Constution Road