The organ was built by John R Miller in 1901 and officially opened by Mr A. L. Peace, Mus.Doc. (Oxon) on January 29th January 1902.
This fine instrument is believed to contain pipework from the original two manual Holt organ first placed in the church in 1865. It was renovated and enlarged by Miller in 1901 and 1929 and by Rushworth & Dreaper in 1972. The organ is an excellent example of the craftsmanship of succeeding builders and restorers and as such is considered an heritage instrument.
It is versatile in tonal range and suitable for a variety of uses. Able to create the quietest sounds suitable for contemplation and prayerful atmosphere, to leading congregational singing or sounding like a cathedral organ in resplendent, celebratory mood!
Repair and replacement of the action is planned and will be undertaken by Nicholson, the international organ building company. This will preserve the organ and bring it to a standard commensurate with the aspirations of the congregation in regular weekly worship and enable it to be used as another concert instrument in the City of Dundee.